Tuesday, February 15, 2011

DIY Art

Lets change the mood and throw in some DIY:

I love this flower:

I drew this on the back of a legal note pad. I've been drawing various versions of this flower for years. I would get it as a tattoo, but I don't see the need to pay someone to make me cry. Just my opinion, that and I don't do well with needles.

So, I decided that I needed to fill the space above my couch. I thought about buying a canvas and painting the flower, buying an art piece from etsy, but I couldn't find anything large enough that wouldn't break the bank.

Enter Vinyl art. I needed something that would be easily removed since I rent. So, I convinced the boyfriend that I NEEDED vinyl. I would DIE without it. Needless to say, he looked at me like I was crazy, but he drove me anyway.

I went to Home Depot and bought black vinyl shelf liner for $3.50. I bought 2 rolls thinking I would need it, but I only ended up using half a roll. I happily brought my supplies home and got to work cutting and tracing. Here's the beginning:


(camera phone, sorry)

 I started buy making the large circle by using a large Tupperware bowl lid as a template. The circle is about 12 inches wide. Then I free handed the "leaves" and cut them out. The little black squares were vinyl "tape" to make sure everything stayed where I wanted.


I added more "leaves" to fill out the flower and added some random cut lines to fill in the center. What was really fun about this was knowing it didn't have to be perfect. It was ok if the lines in the center weren't exactly straight, or the leaves were a little crooked.





This is what it looks like today. I'm thinking about re-doing a few of the smaller leaves, the bottom 2 and top 2 seem a little off somehow. Who knows. But for a project that ended up costing less than $3.50 I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. I'm even thinking of shading it with some chalk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment